9 Nov 2007

The Ethiopian Experiment

I'd never intended to go to Ethiopia, but because of the heavy flooding in southern Sudan and Uganda, it started to look like a good idea. With an Ethiopian visa in my pocket, there was nothing left to detain me in Khartoum. I decided to head east to Gedaref and Gallabat, on Sudan's border with Ethiopia.

My first taste of Ethiopia was the bus ride from Metema at the Sudan - Ethiopia border to the town of Gondar. It was a very enjoyable ride climbing up through fertile, hills and leaving the desert of Sudan behind me. The temperature dropped to something more comfortable and for a few minutes it even rained. I leaned out of the window to touch it and to smell it, the first rain since leaving Europe. The children were friendly, the scenery was beautiful and I felt excited to be entering a new country.


No comments: