21 Sept 2007

Aswan on the Cheap

I arrived in Aswan to find that there's still only one ferry per week down to Wadi Halfa in Sudan, and it doesn't leave until Monday afternoon. My name's on the list and tomorrow I'll buy the ticket, so my place is assured. It's all on, I just have to be patient.

I have time to kill until Friday. As I've been here before, I'm not motivated to go and visit all the tourist sites such as Abu Simbel again. But there are plenty of other things to do, especially as night falls and the restrictions imposed by Ramadan temporarily come to an end. Even at midnight there are still many people out on the street, shopping, chatting, drinking chai, or smoking sheesha.

This evening I took a felluca ride on the Nile at sunset up past Elephantine Island. Totally relaxing and chilled. Tomorrow I plan to explore the west bank of the Nile.

I'm staying at the Marwa hotel for 6 Egyptian pounds (US$1) per night in a dorm. It's grotty and cheap but in a likeable way. Even though every surface is dirty and it looks like nothing works, actually this place has everything a more expensive hotel has, but at 1/20th the price. There's aircon, hot water, a fan on the ceiling...plus the owner is a cool guy. Bob Marley posters adorn the walls. I dig this place.

No comments: