4 Sept 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to everyone tuning in to my blog! It's simple, but I hope you like it.

I decided to create this blog to inform everyone who's interested about my upcoming travels in Eastern Africa and subsequent return to New Zealand. After 7 years of Switzerland, I'm finally leaving. It's time for some adventure and to experience life on the other side of the world for a while.

My plan to return to New Zealand, where I grew up and lived until I was 23, became concrete at around the time of my 30th birthday, just over a year ago. It has taken this long to put the plan into action. Leaving Switzerland is not easy! After 7 years here I have a lot of friends and it is now my second home. I actually intend to return to Switzerland in 2009, but it is just that: an intention, and one which makes saying goodbye easier. Such intentions are notoriously uncertain. I originally intended to live in Switzerland for one year, and I ended up staying for seven...

Fortunately, my girlfriend Christina will join me in New Zealand. She's not coming to Africa, but we'll meet again when I arrive in NZ in mid-December. Christina is Swiss and a primary school teacher. I'm currently trying to organise three weeks of work experience at Hamilton East Primary School (my old school) for her, while she waits for me to arrive. I know it will be a challenge for both of us to find work in the same city for 2008, but I'm sure we're up to the task.

The adventures begin on September 14. Christina and I will take the TGV to Paris, where I'm Best Man at the wedding of Marc and Claire, two good friends of mine. For me, it will be a farewell to Switzerland for what could (unfortunately) be quite a long time. It will also be a sad farewell to Christina. I won't see her again until I arrive in New Zealand. After the wedding, she'll return to Switzerland, while I will take a train to Brussels for my flight to Cairo on September 18.

Cairo is the starting point of my 'Road to Nairobi'. I'm looking forward to returning there, as I have fond memories of my last visit back in 2004. My old website has some pictures of Cairo and Egypt here. My route south to Nairobi is not yet decided. One thing is certain: it won't be direct. I'll definitely visit Sudan. Ethiopia, Uganda, Rwanda and DR Congo are all possible destinations en route. I am constrained by only one (extremely) hard deadline: My flight to Auckland leaves Nairobi on December 12.

That's it for now. I'll keep you all informed of progress.


1 comment:

Bernhardmeier said...

...January 2008, I will visit my brother in Jacksonville, Fl :). Well, you can post it while you're there. Send me some pictures from your Africa tour, wish I could go there dude. Watch out for terrorists though, according to my president (?!), they have lots of cells, where they multiply, down there in that Western Middle east somewhere between America ('merica) and China! Take care