19 Jan 2008

Welcome Home

Flying into Auckland Airport is usually a pleasure. When coming from faraway lands, the contrast of New Zealand’s emerald green - almost fluorescent green - landscape with the monotonous blue of the Tasman Sea is striking. Upon landing the welcome by immigration and customs officials is invariably friendly and with a personal touch. And this time I was extra-excited, not only because Christina and mum were waiting at the airport for me, but also because this place would be home for the foreseeable future.

So it was galling when I ran into trouble with New Zealand’s extremely strict biosecurity controls. I thought I’d declared everything that might pose a biosecurity risk, but somehow I’d forgotten about a small container of honey in my carry-on bag, absent-mindedly picked up from an airport lounge during my Dubai stopover. I was promptly marched off to an office and told to pay an on-the-spot $200 fine. Just when I thought my grand homecoming would be ruined by getting busted for bringing undeclared honey into the country, the customs officer suddenly had a change of heart and let me go. I think my story of how I was returning to the country to live after a long absence did the trick. Or else my good looks. Anyway, moral of the story: If you ever fly to New Zealand, fill out your customs declaration form CAREFULLY.

Feeling exhausted but pretty relieved to have gotten off the hook, I walked out into the arrivals hall and into the waiting arms of Christina and mum. A few minutes later we were in the car heading south to Hamilton and home. It was a good feeling.

No comments: