19 Jan 2008

Tapotupotu Bay

When we arrived at Tapotupotu Bay, Christina and I chose a shady spot a bit away from the other people on the beach and headed down to the water for a swim. At first it was fun to play in the waves. The water was rough but only knee-high when still and we felt in no danger. Suddenly, before we knew it, we were caught in quite a strong rip and the water was over our heads. As soon as I realised that we were in danger, we started swimming back to the beach. Christina made it to a sandbar where she could stand, but try as I might, I could not get more than a toe to the sandbar. I got sucked out again and again. In desperation, I yelled to Christina to go for help. I felt unable to make it back to shore on my own so decided to float on my back and wait to be rescued. It seemed to take an eternity, but was probably about 30 minutes. I remember looking up several times and wondering what on earth is taking them so long? The problem was the waves were too large for a swimmer to come out and get me. Two rescue attempts tried and failed. In the meantime, I had drifted even further from the shore. I didn’t know it, but the only chance I had was for someone with a boat to come to my aid. Fortunately, that is exactly what happened.

By sheer chance, a man with a boat arrived at the beach and was able to bring his boat out through the waves and pluck me from the water. I was getting very weak by that stage. I’d swallowed a lot of seawater and hypothermia had set in. I was delirious and my head was going under but I remember hearing the boat arrive, some shouts and attempting to scramble in myself. That effort must have drained my last reserves of energy, as after that I have no recollection of what happened next until I woke up shivering uncontrollably in a car being driven south to Houhora. Christina was with me and she had to keep me from falling asleep again. At that point I realised everything would probably be OK.

I was in worse condition than I thought, however, and the paramedics who examined me in Houhora had no hesitation in calling the air ambulance. I was short of breath and very little of the air I was inhaling was making its way into my blood. A short time later I was in a helicopter and on the way to Whangarei Hospital. Christina arrived later in the evening after collecting the car and driving down. She did a great job of cheering me up and supporting me. It took a while for me to recover, thanks to the seawater I’d swallowed, but after two nights in hospital I was back to normal and free to go.

Only later, after talking to and thanking the man who rescued me in his boat, did it sink in just how close I had come to drowning. Many New Zealand beaches are known for being treacherous and over 100 people drown in New Zealand each year. I am extremely lucky to be alive.



Tapotupotu Bay

No comments: